As the Superintendent of Schools Dr. Cleveland has consistently provided the leadership and guidance needed to provide a system that prepares students in the Rio Rancho Public Schools for the next century.
Dr. Cleveland's Impact
Dr. Sue Cleveland has been Superintendent of the Rio Rancho Public School District since its creation in 1994. During that time, the district has grown from 5,900 to 17,000 students. The district has been recognized for the quality of its instructional programs, facilities, and outstanding staff, as well as unique partnerships with the New Mexico business community.
Dr. Cleveland is a Past President of New Mexico Superintendent’s Association and the New Mexico Activities Association and currently represents New Mexico on the American Association of School Administrators Governing Board.
She serves on the Presbyterian Healthcare Foundation Board of Directors and was one of the judges for the most recent New Mexico Quality Awards. She has served on many state educational committees and task forces.
Recognitions include, among others:
- 20 Women to Watch in the New Millennium (Sage Magazine) in 2000
- YWCA “Woman on the Move” Recognition in 2000
- Governor’s Award for Outstanding New Mexico Woman in 2001
- Former state superintendent of the year
- One of four finalists considered for the AASA National Superintendent of the Year Award in 2004
- Featured in the Administrator Profile of District Administration (periodical) in 2005 and New Mexico Woman Magazine in 2006
- One of the ten “Women of Influence” in New Mexico for 2007 by the New Mexico Business Weekly
Prior to her current position, Dr. Cleveland was Superintendent of Schools in Cherokee County, South Carolina, and held teaching and administrative positions with the Deer Park Independent School District (Houston metro area). Her initial teaching experience was at Las Cruces Mayfield High in southern New Mexico.
Professional preparation includes:
- B.A., University of New Mexico
- M.A., New Mexico State University
- Ed.D., University of Houston
- Post-graduate work, University of South Carolina.